Tuesday, January 24, 2012

House (1986)

“This is my uncle's harpoon gun.” Hi everyone, sorry it has been so long since I wrote a review, but school had me quite busy over the last couple weeks.  Tonight I will conclude my B-movie week of reviews with a well-known B film.  House, directed by Steve Miner, is a classic B film and absolutely the best film out of all of the low-budget features I enjoyed through the week.  First, the movie kicks off with a sweet score that sounds original and fitting to the horror genre.  Most of the other movies I viewed this week actually had pretty lame music, so this was a huge plus in my book.  The setting was also more inspired; the house had elaborate decorations and unique furniture.  The movie kicks off with Mrs. Cooper hanging herself in her bedroom (awesome).  From there, audiences meet Roger Cobb (portrayed by William Katt); Mrs. Cooper’s nephew who decides to take the house over after his aunt commits suicide. 
So Cobb takes over the house, and audiences then discover that his son went missing at this house not too long ago – and Roger is on a mission to find his missing son.  He is convinced to his very core that his son (Jimmy) is in the house somewhere, still alive.  Cobb battles with zombies and other ghastly beings through the rest of the film, tearing the house apart and continuing to look for his son. Katt does an excellent job of acting in this film, again better than any of the other B films I viewed this week.  I particularly liked Katt’s performance during the closet scene, when he opens the door expecting a monster but there was nothing there…at least for a few seconds.  The scene itself was brilliant, but Katt pulls it off cleverly.  I also would like to commend Miner’s vision, particularly with the bathroom scene.  A razor would definitely be a common object to find lurking in the bathroom…so where other movies this week have fallen short on producing weapons that would ‘naturally’ be in a room – Miner succeeded.  Bravo, Miner.  Awesome sauce.  The shots of Vietnam were also very cool, and gave Katt’s character more depth than he would have had without that part of the story line. Bonus points for Richard Moll as Big Ben, a particularly well-done zombie that was also in Vietnam with Cobb.  Won't say too much about their relationship as I don't want to give too many spoilers here. 

My only real criticism of this film is that some parts that were intended to be scary wound up as being more laughable…particularly the “Sandy” monster.  She was kind of cool-looking, but also kind of cheesy-funny.  I am not sure that this is what Miner had in mind.  For the most part, though, if you go into this movie knowing it is low-budget and use your imagination it is an interesting film that truly blows a lot of other movies in it’s category out of the water.  A must-see for those who dig fun and inventive horror.  Number of killers?  I guess I forgot to count the killers because there is no number written here for it.  You watch it and tell me.  Body Count? Seven.  Boob Count?  Zero.  Cheap Thrills? Three.  Actual Spooks Endured: Three.  Entertainment?  Fuckin a.  Raven’s Scream Meter Says: 3 out of 5 Screams.  Watch this movie with your friends, it’s one of those great ones that you can talk shit to and still enjoy.    

No comments:

Post a Comment