Thursday, March 6, 2014

Children of the Corn (1984)

           Hello again fiends!  Since I missed Monday and Tuesday (time was spent watching, instead of writing), I figured I’d put a couple out in one night for you all.  Doesn’t that sound like a spectacular spooky surprise?!  I thought so!  This review is going to focus on Fritz Kiersch’s rendition of Stephen King’s Children of the Corn (1984).  Originally a short story published in Penthouse (hmm…maybe some people do actually buy them for the articles, eh?), Children of the Corn is a somewhat fantastical tale of an entire town of children that wind up killing off all of the adults and forming a sort of cult amongst the rows of corn surrounding their town. 

            And that begins my first critique on the film – the plot.  I really don’t find children to be scary, more creepy than scary.  In my humble opinion, it is really far-fetched for a group of kids to literally kill off all the adults in any given town and have no retaliation whatsoever from either more adults or the elder kids.  In the story, they even have children willingly allowing the others to kill them at age 19.  I don’t know anyone that would willingly die like that, and even if one or two did it would be very difficult to get an entire group to fall into step with dying young.  I honestly didn’t think there was a Stephen King out there I couldn’t get behind, but I’d have to say this one is too far-fetched for me to get the creeps from.  That being said, if you as a viewer can get past the inconceivability of this plot, then you may find you enjoy this film.  The cinematography is decent though one can tell that it is an older film.  Still not bad, not bad.  I can’t honestly say I can remember the soundtrack so I am going to say that it wasn’t memorable and leave it at that. 

         The casting, unfortunately, is another downfall of this particular flick.  Courtney Gains as Malachai…I mean I’m all for giving child actors a bit of a break because they are ‘green,’ so to speak, but this kid was not only terrible, he was also obnoxious to look at.  Every time he yelled “Outlander!” I wanted to reach through the screen and shake him…hard. John Franklin as Issac was pretty awful also, but at least he was somewhat intriguing.  Having not read the short story for this prior to watching, I was hoping Isaac WAS the demon, or possessed and immortal, or something cool.  But alas, I was let down on that as well.  The creepiest thing about this movie was “The Blue Man,” a cop that had been crucified by the kids, his rotting skeleton serving as a point in the cornfield as their meeting place.  Otherwise…it’s pretty out there.  The kids all grab sickles and knives to kill the adults…and the adults grab pipes and duller instruments to try to fight back.  The kids all seem to go along with all of this, and yet don’t appear as brainwashed as one might originally think when we first meet them.  All in all, this is one of my least favorite conceptions that King has produced for us.  Anyways, here come the stats:  Number of deaths?  11.  Killers?  This was a tough call…probably thirty or so?  Boobs? 0. Not even anything remotely racy in this one.  Cheap thrills?  0.  Actual spooks endured?  0.  Ravens Scream Meter says: 2 out of 5 Screams.  Has some carnage so I couldn’t give it a one, even if it isn’t my favorite movie to date.  Thanks again for reading and I’ll be posting another review shortly!  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment